Scars can be unpleasant for most people. They are often associated with insecurity, bad memories, or something to get rid of on their bodies. But thanks to laser’s cutting-edge technology, scars can now be less visible through laser scar revision.
Laser scar revision has been around for many years and it’s a treatment that can allegedly make existing scars “disappear.” But, understanding laser technology can be a daunting task and sometimes can take a toll on you. Thus, it is essential that you consider these ten things before booking a laser scar revision treatment:
- Laser scar revision cannot erase a scar.
Contrary to what people advertise, this procedure does not totally erase the scar. Scars are composed of a different type of collagen and are permanent, so any treatment or product cannot remove them even with the most intense light subjected to it.
What laser scar revision can do is:
- Reduce itch felt from the scar
- Improve movement in the area of the scar, by loosening scar tissue and remodeling the collagen
- Prevent an evident, raised scar formed after a surgery
In short, it just makes the scars less noticeable. The treatment’s principle is closest to replacing your darker, more visible, existing scar with a less visible one.
- The skill of the administering personnel plays a significant role in doing the treatment.
Laser scar revision is not a treatment that you can repeatedly do, then get good results every time. Most of the time, the skills of the person doing the treatment affect the treatment results.
When it comes to laser treatments, a laser center specializing in laser treatments under the supervision of a physician should be your number one option. They have highly trained professionals who have spent years studying the science, mechanics, and applications of lasers, making them your best bet if you want a successful treatment. In addition to good results, these centers can also ensure your safety regardless of how severe-looking your scar is.
One such laser center with professional staff and cutting-edge laser equipment is SkinVolution, Laser, Vein, & MedSpa, whose team is headed by an experienced physician – Dr. Trupti K. Patel, MD.
- Always consider a medical consultation before doing any laser treatment.
As much as lasers have their benefits, they may also do some damage if not handled correctly. So, if you visit a place that does lasers and is willing to do the treatment even without the doctor’s consultation, maybe it is a sign that you should walk away.
You should indicate to the administering personnel what medications and supplements you currently take. This declaration is needed because you may need to stop taking some to make your treated scar heal faster.
Moreover, every person is different, so every treatment is also unique. To deliver results effectively, the laser technician should consider the characteristics of your scar, your skin type, and your overall health.
During the consultation, tell the doctor if you have a history of:
- Any pre-existing medical conditions, including diabetes, hypertension, skin diseases, cancer, etc.
- Getting cold sores
- Taking prescriptions or supplements
Lastly, always be honest during these consultations because it will only benefit you.
- Invest in sun protection products.
Exposure to the sun before and after laser scar revision is not desirable. If you show up after a tanning session or with a sunburn, the practicing personnel may not treat you as the laser can worsen the treatment outcome. Doing the treatment could cause severe discoloration and burns to your skin.
So, make sure that you show up in the clinic with your natural skin tone. And after the treatment, protect your skin with sunscreens until the treated area heals. Otherwise, you may develop a new scar.
- Laser scar revision involves lifestyle changes.
Lifestyle change is crucial in healing your scar faster. So, if you are not ready for the following, you might as well reconsider whether you should do the treatment or not:
- Quit smoking at least two weeks before the treatment schedule.
- Refrain from taking aspirin, vitamin E supplements, or other medications that may delay the healing process.
- Stop yourself from using skincare products with glycolic acid or retinoid ingredients for at least 1 week before the treatment.
- If you are prone to developing cold sores, take medication that may prevent these from appearing.
- Avoid the sunlamp, tanning bed, the sun, or any heat sources that may cause burns to the skin.
- Your technician may suggest additional treatment in conjunction with the laser scar revision.
To enhance the effects of the treatment, the administering personnel may suggest that you add another therapy aside from the laser one. For example, suppose you have deep acne scars. In that case, the technician may advise you to get certain skincare products along with laser therapy.
- Laser scar revision is not a one-time treatment.
Like most treatments, laser treatment must be done in multiple sessions to achieve long-lasting, visible results. This scenario is common in non-ablative lasers. It does not have downtime, but the results do not appear right away.
- Treatment aftercare is needed.
Because the scar revision treatment is essential “covering-up the scar,” you need to make efforts to take care of it. Best to follow the instructions given to you by the technician so that you will see the best results, with the most negligible side effects.
- Be patient.
Results do not appear right after one treatment. So, do not expect that your scar will be invisible after your first visit. In fact, you may notice only a slight improvement on the first try.
Better results are visible after a few months.
- Insurance may not cover laser treatment costs.
Since this treatment is labeled as a cosmetic treatment, insurance providers may not cover the costs. So, before you fully decide, you may book a virtual consultation to know what to expect from the treatment in terms of procedures, side effects, and of course, the costs.
Where can you do the treatment?
Now that you are more informed about laser scar revision, it is crucial that you also consider where to do it. At SkinVolution, we have state-of-the-art lasers and equipment, experienced staff, and high-quality care. We offer a wide range of services that could instantly transform you into a more confident version of yourself. Ask us now!